Adaptive Cloud based systems
Cloud computing offers great potential to transcend traditional software stacks, circumventing a lot of the development restrictions and deployment difficulties imposed by previous distributed systems. While lots of effort are being carried out to provide scalable, solutions a number of distributed challenges impose on how to make cloud solutions extensible for the collaborative development and provide for highly customised and service-enhanced applications with demanding non-functional requirements, for example privacy or real-time requirements. Additionally with a number of proprietary cloud platforms, interoperability becomes an interesting challenge. Cloud based solutions need to be adaptable and interoperable taking into account the heterogeneous distributed system challenges including privacy and security. As a possible outcome of the research we aim to develop a cloud based-middleware framework handling the dynamicity of such distributed environment challenges.
Main research interests:
- Middleware cloud based solutions;
- Dynamic Runtime Systems Adaptation;
- Dynamic Reconfiguration Consistency in Middleware;
- Cloud based PaaS Portability and Interoperability;
- Security and Privacy issues to cloud computing;
- Dynamic adaptation of cloud services and QoS;
surajbali [ at] gmail [dot] com
- Surajbali, B., Grace, P., Coulson, G., ‘A Consistency Framework For Dynamic Reconfiguration Consistency in AO-Middleware Architectures’. In Proceedings of 8th European Conference on Software Architecture (ECSA) 2014, August 2014 LINK.
- Surajbali, B., Juan-Verdejo, A., Bär, H., Alexakis, Bauer, M. A Cloud-Based Collaborative Platform Supporting Serviced-Enhanced Products for Emerging Markets. In Proceedings of Third edition of the IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing for Emerging Markets (CCEM), Bangalore India, October 2014 (to appear).
- Surajbali, B., Juan-Verdejo, A., Bär, H., Alexakis, S, Hübsch, G., Bauer, M. A Cloud-based Collaborative Environment to support Goal-Oriented Collaborative Network and Co-innovation of serviced enhanced products. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), December 2014 (to appear).
- Surajbali, B., Juan-Verdejo, A., “Marketplace Broker for Platform-as-a-Service Portability”. In Proceedings of Seamless Adaptive Multi-cloud Management of Service-based Applications, at European Conference on Service-Oriented and Cloud Computing (ESOCC), Manchester, September 2014.
- Juan-Verdejo, A., Zschaler, S., Surajbali, B., Baars, H., Kemper, H., G. InCLOUDer: A Formalised Decision Support Modelling Approach to Migrate Applications to Cloud Environments. In Proceedings of 40th Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA 2014) August 2014.
- Surajbali, B., Coulson, G., Grace, P., ‘AO-OpenCom: An AO-Middleware Architecture Supporting Flexible Dynamic Reconfiguration.’ In Proceedings of 17th International ACM Sigsoft Conference on Component-Based Software Engineering (CBSE 2014), July 2014 LINK.
- Davies, N., Clinch, S., Elhart, I., Kubitza, T., Langheinrich, M., and Surajbali, B, “Tacita – Protecting Mobile Users’ Privacy in Future Pervasive Display Networks”. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2014), April 2014 LINK.
- Juan-Verdejo, A., Surajbali, B., Baars, H., Kemper, H., G. Moving Business Intelligence to cloud environments. In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM Workshop on CrossCloud Toronto, April, 2014.
- Surajbali, B., Juan-Verdejo A., Ali A., R., Gerostathopoulos, I., Gonzalez-Herrera, I., Kit, M, “Towards a Framework for Compute-Intensive Pervasive Systems in Dynamic Environments”. In Proceedings of International Workshop on Hot Topics in Cloud service Scalability, ACM, ICPE ’14, Dublin, Ireland, March, 2014 PDF.
- Surajbali B., Bauer, M., Bär, H., Alexakis, S.: A Cloud–Based Approach for Collaborative Networks supporting serviced-enhanced products. In Collaborative Systems for Reindustrialization. Proceedings of the 14th IFIP WG 5.5 Working Conference on Virtual Enterprises, PRO-VE 2013, Sept 30 – Oct. 2, Dresden, Germany, Vol. 408, Springer 2013, pp.61-70, LINK
- Mohammadi S.-V., Kounev S., Juan Verdejo A., Surajbali B.: Soft reservations: Uncertainty-Aware Resource Reservations in IaaS Environments. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on Business Modeling and Software Design (BMSD 2013), July 8-10, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands, 2013, pp. 223-229, PDF
- El-Khatib Y., Blair G.S., Surajbali B.: Experiences of Using a Hybrid Cloud to Construct an Environmental Virtual Observatory. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Cloud Data and Platforms (CloudDP ’13), April 14, Prague, Czech Republic, ACM New York, NY, USA 2013, pp.13-18, LINK
- Surajbali, B., Coulson, G. and Grace, P. “Preserving Dynamic Reconfiguration Consistency in Aspect Oriented Middleware”, Poster paper associated with Aspect Oriented Software Development Conference AOSD 2010, St Malo, France, March 2010.
- Surajbali, B., Grace, P., Coulson, G., “ReCycle: Resolving Cyclic Dependencies in Dynamically Reconfigurable Aspect Oriented Middleware” In Proceedings of Composition & Variability workshop associated with Aspect Oriented Software Development Conference 2010.
- Surajbali, B., Coulson, G., Greenwood, P., and Grace, P. 2007. “Augmenting reflective middleware with an aspect orientation support layer.” In Proceedings of the 6th international workshop on Adaptive and Reflective Middleware (ARM), held at the ACM/IFIP/USENIX International Middleware Conference (Newport Beach, CA, 2007) ACM Press, New York, NY, Article 1. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1376780.1376781